ST PATRICK’S AND
ST BRIGID’S CEMETERY
This 3 acre block was originally part of a 2,000 acre Land Grant made to Lieutenant Percy Simpson in 1826. Surrounded by abundant native forests, and close to the then, permanent fording place over Dora Creek, Simpson cleared this north eastern corner using six assigned convicts, and established a farm.
Over the next 30 years or so, a thriving village community grew associated with the timber industry, the majority being Roman Catholics who banded together and in 1861 built a humble weatherboard church. In 1906 a more substantial brick building was erected and dedicated by The Most Rev Dr Kelly, Coadjutor Archbishop of Sydney.
155 burials during the 1800s
5 of those buried here having been born in the 1700s
1st known burial, Mary Blackford 14 years, killed by a falling tree
timber church built, also used as Non Vested National School
2nd known burial, Annie Malone 13 years, domestic fire accident
1895 April & May
Mother Mary MacKillop visited the ‘Brown Joey’ teachers
1895 19 May
Mother Mary McKillop went to mass in the timber church
St Patrick’s and St Brigid’s brick church built – Cletus Taylor
Cemetery - National Trust listed
Celebrations for Saint Mary of the Cross, 120 years since her visit